The app appeared in the Application Store late Wednesday night, offering joy and convenience to disgruntled Apple Maps customers just about everywhere.
Rumors of the app's impending release appeared previously this evening by way of AllThingsD.
Google Maps for iOS [iTunes link] seems and capabilities a lot more in the same way to its Android counterpart than it does to the edition that utilised to be bundled with iOS.
If you might be possessing issues downloading the app, give it a couple of minutes. Within moments of its release, it appears as if Apple's servers had been briefly crushed, with some consumers obtaining it difficult to download the app.
I have only spent a number of minutes with the application, but right here are my 1st impressions:
- The interface is noticeably cleaner than prior to, although I still desire the appears -- if not usually the precision -- of Apple Maps
- Customers can select to designate a property and operate tackle inside their profile, which is especially useful
- Voice-guided switch-by-turn seems to operate properly
- Consumers can opt to check out general public transit as an overlay on the map by itself, which is a nice touch
- I enjoy getting in a position to obtain public-transit directions inside of my maps app yet again
- Google Places have been much more prominently integrated into the app
Image courtesy of Flickr, brewbooks